Wisconsin's Cake Decorating Championship
We are looking for Wisconsin's most creative cake artists!
The Wisconsin Bakers Association is proud to partner once again with the Wisconsin Grocers Association to present Wisconsin's Cake Decorating Championship at the 2021 Grocers Innovation Expo being held at Hyatt Regency & KI Center in Green Bay on October 13, 2021.
Registration & Entry Fees:
The early registration deadline for all of the competitions is
Wednesday, September 15, 2021 EXTENDED UNTIL MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 20, 2021. The standard registration deadline is Wednesday, September 30, 2021. All entries must be registered in advance. Each entry includes two passes to the WGA Grocery Industry Trade Show on Wednesday, October 13, 2021. Space is limited! Entries are limited to one skill level per category per location. Register online here or download the registration form.
- Early – WBA and WGA Members – $30
- Early – Non-Member – $45
- Standard – WBA and WGA Members – $45
- Standard – Non-Member – $60
- Wisconsin’s Cake Decorating Championship is open to beginners/students (up to 3 years’ experience) and professionals (3+ years’ experience).
- Competitors must represent an independent licensed bakery facility, grocery store, or be currently enrolled in a baking/pastry arts college program.
- 2D Sheet Cakes – Full sheet cakes iced in any type of icing EXCLUDING fondant. Real cake must be used for this category. 2D decorations may be fondant, butter cream, gum paste, royal icing, isomalt, or chocolate. Finished decorated cake should not be larger than 18” x 26” x 12”.
- 3D Shaped/Sculpted Cakes – Cut-out, shaped, or sculpted cake, iced in any type of icing, fondant, or modeling chocolate. You must use real cake for this category. Up to 15% Rice Krispy or other edible ingredients are allowed. Finished decorated cake should not be larger than 24” x 24” x 24”.
The theme for this year’s cake decorating championship is “For the Love of Football!” Show us your best 2D or 3D Game Day Cakes for a Green & Gold Tailgate Party!
Cakes may be set-up Tuesday, October 12th between 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm and Wednesday, October 13th, between 8:00 am - 9:30 am. Judging will begin promptly at 10:00 am. Any cakes delivered after 10:00 am will not be judged but placed for display purposes only.
Competitors and assistants should pick-up name badges at registration desk prior to entering the trade show floor.
- All work will be done in a professional manner.
- Entries must be exclusive work of the entrant and may not have been entered in any other competition.
- No business identifying marks, advertisements, or photos will be allowed until the completion of the judging. After judging, business cards may be placed by the cakes.
- Cakes must stay on display until the end of the trade show (4:00 pm). Cake pick-up is between 4:00 pm and 7:00 pm. Anything left will be disposed of. We are not responsible to return items to competitors! No exceptions.
- All work must be done offsite. No decorating tools, equipment, cake, icing, base, stand, or materials will be provided by the competition, aside from table space for display. Cake must be already baked, assembled, decorated, and ready for viewing when participants arrive. Minimal adjustments, repair, and additions of embellishments will be permitted within the allotted set-up window.
- Cakes are judged only on appearance. Points will be given for neatness, originality, creativity, colors, and degree of difficulty.
- All flowers, if any, must be handmade.
- Cakes must not infringe the copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity or other intellectual property rights of any person or entity. Cakes that violate this requirement will be disqualified from the competition.
- The organizers have the right to use photographs taken of competitor’s displays.
- A license and/or student ID number is required.
- Entries in each skills division are judged separately.
- Judging of the entries will be completed by a team of qualified judges selected by the Wisconsin Bakers Association. The judges’ decisions will be final. The judges will complete a score sheet for each entry.
- WBA will provide copies of all professional judging scores to all entrants within 10 business days following the completion of WGA’s Grocery Industry Trade Show via your pre-registered e-mail address.
- Cake decorating awards will be announced at the WBA Awards Ceremony on Wednesday, October 13th between 5:00-6:00 pm.
- Awards may include: Grand Champion, Reserve Champion, Award of Excellence, Award of Distinction, Award of Achievement, and Honorable Mention.
- People’s Choice will be announced later that evening at the WGA’s Chairman’s Banquet.
Wisconsin’s Cake Decorating Championship is held in conjunction with the WGA Innovation Expo and is presented in partnership between the Wisconsin Bakers Association (WBA) and the Wisconsin Grocers Association (WGA). By entering the competition, the contestant fully releases all rights to photos, publication and other sources of media for all work produced exclusively for, during and in the complete time frame of the event. Contestant is subject to all registration fees, applicable taxes, and all other related expenses on behalf of him/her entering the above competition. Contestant agrees to abide by all rules set forth by the WBA for this competition. Contestant understands that the WBA, WGA, or any sponsors assume no responsibility for loss, theft or damage to displays or personal items at the WGA Innovation Expo and agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the WBA, WGA, and all sponsors from and against all claims, demands, costs, loss, damage, expense, attorney’s fees and liabilities growing out of, or arising from, caused or occasioned by his/her activities in the competition. Competition entry fees are non-refundable. All judges’ decisions are final.
Do you have any questions about Wisconsin’s Cake Decorating Championship?
Contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (414) 258-5552 for more information!