Wisconsin's Cake Decorating Championship
We are looking for Wisconsin's most creative cake artists!
The Wisconsin Bakers Association is proud to partner once again with the Wisconsin Grocers Association to present Wisconsin's Cake Decorating Championship at the 2022 Grocers Innovation Expo being held at Hilton Paper Valley Hotel & Fox Cities Convention Center in Appleton on October 19, 2022. This year's theme is "Celebrate Autumn".
Registration & Entry Fees:
The early registration deadline for all of the competitions is Wednesday, September 21, 2022. The standard registration deadline is Wednesday, October 5, 2022. All entries must be registered in advance. Each entry includes two passes to the WGA Grocery Industry Trade Show on Wednesday, October 19, 2022. Space is limited!
All entries must be registered in advance. Late entries may be allowed if space permits but will be charged a $50 late fee per entry.
Register online here
- Early – WBA and WGA Members – $30
- Early – Non-Member – $45
- Standard – WBA and WGA Members – $45
- Standard – Non-Member – $60
- Wisconsin’s Cake Decorating Championship is open to beginners/students (up to 3 years’ experience) and professionals (3+ years’ experience).
- Competitors must represent an independent licensed bakery facility, grocery store, or be currently enrolled in a baking/pastry arts college program.
- 2D Sheet Cakes – Full sheet cakes iced in any type of icing EXCLUDING fondant. Real cake must be used for this category. 2D decorations may be fondant, butter cream, gum paste, royal icing, isomalt, or chocolate. Finished decorated cake should not be larger than 18” x 26” x 12”.
- 3D Shaped/Sculpted Cakes – Cut-out, shaped, or sculpted cake, iced in any type of icing, fondant, or modeling chocolate. You must use real cake for this category. If there is any question about a portion of the cake being real, a judge may use a toothpick to check. Alternatively, competitors may provide up to 5 photos of the baking & assembly process. Up to 15% Rice Krispy or other edible ingredients are allowed. Only edible decorations and embellishments are allowed. Use of inedible decorations may result in a penalty score or disqualification. Finished decorated cake should not be larger than 24” x 24” x 24”.
The theme for this year’s cake decorating championship is “Celebrate Autumn”. Click here to view a blank score sheet for this competition.
Cakes may be set-up on Tuesday, October 18th between 4:00 - 4:30 pm and on Wednesday, October 19th between 8:30 - 9:30 am. Judging will begin promptly at 9:45 am. Any cakes delivered after 9:30 am will not be judged but placed for display purposes only.
Please include a short anonymous description of each entry. The purpose of this description is to better inform the judges of the entrant’s vision, process, materials and technique that may not be obvious from viewing the finished product. This is also where any specific theme or backstory of an entry can be briefly explained. Summary is to be submitted on one standard, single sided, typed, 8.5"x11" page. Font should be no smaller than 9pt or larger than 12pt. A physical, printed copy of the Entry Description is to be submitted at time of entry set-up. This document will be available for review during the judging process. Please do not include any competitor or organization name(s) anywhere in the summary. Any photos showing competitor faces will be discarded.
Competitors and assistants should pick-up name badges at registration desk prior to entering the trade show floor.
- All work will be done in a professional manner.
- Entries must be exclusive work of the entrant and may not have been entered in any other competition.
- No business identifying marks, advertisements, or photos will be allowed until the completion of the judging. Sharing progress or preview photos or videos of entries publicly on social media is prohibited. After judging is complete, business cards may be placed by the cakes and photos or videos may be shared on social media.
- Cakes must stay on display until the end of the trade show (4:00 pm). Cake pick-up is between 4:00 pm and 5:00 pm. Anything left will be disposed of. We are not responsible to return items to competitors! No exceptions.
- All work must be done offsite. No decorating tools, equipment, cake, icing, base, stand, or materials will be provided by the competition, aside from table space for display. Cake must be already baked, assembled, decorated, and ready for viewing when participants arrive. Minimal adjustments, repair, and additions of embellishments will be permitted within the allotted set-up window.
- Cakes are judged only on appearance. Points will be given for neatness, originality, creativity, colors, and degree of difficulty.
- All flowers, if any, must be handmade by the competitor.
- Entries must be exclusive work of the entrant and may not have been entered in any previous WBA competitions.
- Only individual entries are allowed. Team entries are not allowed.
- Cakes must not infringe the copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity or other intellectual property rights of any person or entity. Cakes that violate this requirement will be disqualified from the competition.
- The organizers have the right to use photographs taken of competitor’s displays.
- A license and/or student ID number is required.
- Entries in each skills division are judged separately.
- Judging of the entries will be completed by a team of qualified judges selected by the Wisconsin Bakers Association. The judges’ decisions will be final. The judges will complete a score sheet for each entry.
- WBA will provide copies of all professional judging scores to all entrants within 10 business days following the completion of WGA’s Grocery Industry Trade Show via your pre-registered e-mail address.
- Cake decorating awards may include: Grand Champion, Reserve Champion, Award of Excellence, Award of Distinction, Award of Achievement, Honorable Mention, and Judge's Choice.
- Announcements of awards is TBD.
- People’s Choice will be announced at the WGA’s Chairman’s Banquet.
Wisconsin’s Cake Decorating Championship is held in conjunction with the WGA Innovation Expo and is presented in partnership between the Wisconsin Bakers Association (WBA) and the Wisconsin Grocers Association (WGA). By entering the competition, the contestant fully releases all rights to photos, publication and other sources of media for all work produced exclusively for, during and in the complete time frame of the event. Contestant is subject to all registration fees, applicable taxes, and all other related expenses on behalf of him/her entering the above competition. Contestant agrees to abide by all rules set forth by the WBA for this competition. Contestant understands that the WBA, WGA, or any sponsors assume no responsibility for loss, theft or damage to displays or personal items at the WGA Innovation Expo and agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the WBA, WGA, and all sponsors from and against all claims, demands, costs, loss, damage, expense, attorney’s fees and liabilities growing out of, or arising from, caused or occasioned by his/her/their activities in the competition. Competition entry fees are non-refundable. All judges’ decisions are final.
Do you have any questions about Wisconsin’s Cake Decorating Championship?
Contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (414) 258-5552 for more information!