Signature Plated Pastry & Dessert Competition
Rules & Information
Bring your perfectly plated presentation of mouth watering mousses, meringues, ice creams and sorbets, cookies and cake layers, pastry creams and dessert sauces to wow the judges with your signature plated pastries and desserts! Show off your artistic skills by creating a masterpiece that tastes as good as it looks!
College Students and Industry Professionals are invited to compete in our ALL-NEW Baking & Cake Decorating Competitions at FreshEx!
All competitors must either represent a licensed food service facility (bakeries, cafes, grocery-stores, restaurants) or be a college student currently enrolled in a Baking & Pastry Arts or Culinary program (certificate or degree).
Each participant will receive a complimentary registration to attend the event!
Registration & Entry Fees:
The early registration deadline for all of the bakery competitions has been extended to Tuesday, March 22, 2022. The standard registration deadline is Friday, April 1, 2022. All entries must be registered in advance. Late entries may be allowed if space permits but will be charged a $50 late fee per entry.
Early registration allows WBA, WGA, and WRA Members to take advantage of the lowest entry fees - starting at $30!
- Early – WBA, WGA, and WRA Members – $30
- Early – Non-Member – $45
- Standard – WBA, WGA, and WRA Members – $45
- Standard – Non-Member – $60
To register, please click here.
- Baking & Pastry Arts or Culinary (College Student)
- Industry Novice (Up to 2 years experience)
- Industry Professional (2+ years experience)
- Signature plated pastries and desserts will be judged according to design balance, presentation and most importantly, overall flavor execution. Yes, judges will be tasting these entries! Points will be given for neatness, originality, creativity, colors, and degree of difficulty.
- Click here to view a blank score sheet for this competition.
- All ingredients and decorations used must be edible. Use of inedible decorations will result in disqualification.
- Entrants must provide two identical entries - one for judging and one for display.
- Plates should not be larger than 12”.
- Plates that are used for judging will be set aside to be picked up later, if requested. Entrant is responsible for returning to pick-up any personal items.
- Entries must be exclusive work of the entrant and may not have been entered in any previous WBA competitions.
- Only individual entries are allowed. Team entries are not allowed.
- Entries must not infringe the copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity or other intellectual property rights of any person or entity. Desserts that violate this requirement will be disqualified from the competition.
- All work must be done offsite. No decorating tools, equipment, cake, icing, base, stand, or materials will be provided by the competition, aside from table space for display.
- Pastry and dessert components must be brought to the competition area already finished and can be decorated upon arrival. Plating the dessert onsite is permitted within the allotted set-up window.·
- Judging will be held at the Alliant Energy Center at FreshEx on Tuesday, April 12th.
- Business cards or logos may be placed on display following completion of judging.
- Entries may be set up on Tuesday, April 12th between 7:30 AM and 9:00 AM. Any dessert entries delivered after 9:00 AM will not be judged, but placed for display purposes only.
- All entries must be completed with final set up by 9:00 AM.
- Please include a short anonymous description of each entry. The purpose of this description is to better inform the judges of the entrant’s vision, process, materials and technique that may not be obvious from viewing the finished product. This is also where any specific theme or backstory of an entry can be briefly explained. Summary is to be submitted on one standard, single sided, typed, 8.5"x11" page. Font should be no smaller than 9pt or larger than 12pt. A physical, printed copy of the Entry Description is to be submitted at time of entry set-up. This document will be available for review during the judging process. Please do not include any competitor or organization name(s) anywhere in the summary. Any photos showing competitor faces will be discarded.
- All work will be done in a professional manner.
- Entries may not be removed until 4:30 PM on Tuesday, April 12. Anything left after 7 PM will be disposed of. We are not responsible to return items to competitors! No exceptions.
- The organizers have the right to use photographs taken of competitor’s displays.
- A license and/or student ID number is required.
Judging & Awards:
- Judging for the Signature Plated Pastry & Dessert Competition will be held at FreshEx on Tuesday, April 12th by a team of qualified judges selected by the Wisconsin Bakers Association.
- The judges will complete a comment sheet for each entry; copies of those sheets will be sent to each entrant within 10 days following the completion of FreshEx via your pre-registered email address.
- Entries in each skills division are judged separately.
- All judges’ decisions are final.
- Winners will be announced on Tuesday, April 12th.
- All entries will be judged professionally.
- Awards will be given on a points-based system.
- The highest scoring entry in the competition will receive a Best of Show Trophy.
- Additional awards may include Honorable Mention, Bronze, Silver, & Gold Medals.
The Signature Plated Pastry & Dessert Competition is presented by the Wisconsin Bakers Association (WBA) in partnership with the Wisconsin Grocers Association (WGA) and the Wisconsin Restaurant Association (WRA) at FreshEx. By entering the competition, the contestant fully releases all rights to photos, publication and other sources of media for all work produced exclusively for, during and in the complete time frame of the event. Contestant is subject to all registration fees, applicable taxes, and all other related expenses on behalf of him/her entering the above competition. Contestant agrees to abide by all rules set forth by the WBA for this competition. Contestant agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the WBA and all sponsors from and against all claims, demands, costs, loss, damage, expense, attorney’s fees and liabilities growing out of, or arising from, caused or occasioned by his/her activities in the competition. Competition entry fees are non-refundable. All judges’ decisions are final.
Do you have any questions about the Signature Plated Pastry & Dessert Competition?
Contact us by email at email@example.com@wibakers.com or call (414) 258-5552 for more information!