Extreme Birthday Cake Challenge
Rules & Information
Bring your undeniable creativity to life in a competition that showcases cake designs fit for a very special birthday celebration in the Extreme Birthday Cake competition! In this year’s competition, you will design and create an Extreme Birthday Cake for twins - Miles and Alison - who are turning 6 years old! They both love outer space!
Registration & Entry Fees:
The early registration deadline for all of the competitions is Friday, February 14, 2020. The standard registration deadline is Friday, February 28, 2020. All entries must be registered in advance.
Early registration allows WBA Members to take advantage of the lowest entry fees - starting at $30!
To register for this year's competitions, please click here to return to the main competition page.
- The Extreme Birthday Cake Challenge is open to students (up to one year of experience), beginners (up to 2 years’ experience), and professionals (2+ years’ experience). All competitors must either represent a licensed food service facility (bakeries, cafes, grocery-stores, restaurants) or be a college student currently enrolled in a Baking & Pastry Arts program.
- Cakes are judged on appearance only. Points will be given for neatness, originality, creativity, colors, and degree of difficulty.
- Dummies are permitted, however they are not allowed if sculpted in any way. A combination of real cake and dummies is permitted, provided that the dummy portion is not sculpted.
- Real cakes may be cut-out, shaped, or sculpted in any way and iced in any type of icing, fondant, or modeling chocolate.
- Up to 15% Rice Krispy or other edible ingredients are allowed.
- All flowers, if any, must be handmade.
- Finished decorated cake should fit on a cake board not larger than 24” wide x 24” long. Cake height should not exceed 60” tall.
- Entries must be exclusive work of the entrant and may not have been entered in any previous WBA competitions.
- All work must be done offsite. No decorating tools, equipment, cake, icing, base, stand, or materials will be provided by the competition, aside from table space for display. Cake must be already baked, assembled, decorated, and ready for viewing when participants arrive. Minimal adjustments, repair, and additions of embellishments will be permitted within the allotted set-up window.
- Cakes must not infringe the copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity or other intellectual property rights of any person or entity. Cakes that violate this requirement will be disqualified from the competition.
- Judging to be held at the Pastry Studio at the Midwest Foodservice Expo on Monday, March 9th.
- Business cards or bakery logos may be placed on display following completion of judging.
- Cake entries may be set up Monday, March 9th between 7:30 AM and 9:30 AM. Any cake entries delivered after 9:45 AM will not be judged, but placed for display purposes only.
- All entries must be completed with final set up by 9:45 AM.
- Please include a short description of each cake entry.
- All work will be done in a professional manner.
- Cakes may not be removed until 3 p.m. Wednesday, March 11, 2020. Anything left after 9 p.m. will be disposed of. We are not responsible to return items to competitors! No exceptions.
Judging & Awards:
- Judging for the Extreme Birthday Cake Challenge will be held at the Midwest Foodservice Expo on Monday, March 9th by a team of qualified judges selected by the Wisconsin Bakers Association.
- The judges will complete a comment sheet for each entry; copies of those sheets will be sent to each entrant within 10 days following the completion of the Midwest Foodservice Expo via your pre-registered e-mail address.
- Entries in each skills division are judged separately.
- All judges’ decisions are final.
- Winners will be announced at the WBA Awards & Appetizers Networking Evening on Monday, March 9th.
- All cake entries will be judged professionally.
- Awards will be given on a points-based system.
- The highest scoring cake in the competition will receive a Best of Show Trophy.
- Additional awards may include Honorable Mention, Bronze, Silver, & Gold Medals.
- People’s Choice will be announced at 2:00 PM on Wednesday, March 11th in the competition area.
The Extreme Birthday Cake Challenge is held in conjunction with the Midwest Foodservice Expo and is presented in partnership between the Wisconsin Bakers Association (WBA) and the Wisconsin Restaurant Association (WRA). By entering the competition, the contestant fully releases all rights to photos, publication and other sources of media for all work produced exclusively for, during and in the complete time frame of the event. Contestant is subject to all registration fees, applicable taxes, and all other related expenses on behalf of him/her entering the above competition. Contestant agrees to abide by all rules set forth by the WBA for this competition. Contestant understands that the WBA, WRA, or any sponsors assume no responsibility for loss, theft or damage to displays or personal items at the Midwest Foodsservice Expo and agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the WBA, WRA, and all sponsors from and against all claims, demands, costs, loss, damage, expense, attorney’s fees and liabilities growing out of, or arising from, caused or occasioned by his/her activities in the competition. Competition entry fees are non-refundable. All judges’ decisions are final.
Do you have any questions about the Extreme Birthday Cake Challenge?
Contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (414) 258-5552 for more information!